by George Hedley
Have you noticed people who think and act small, stay small? And those who think and act BIG, are the ones who make it happen? Being HUGE is attitude, altitude, and active action. It's getting past the little things which get in your way and hold you back. It's being bigger than setbacks and obstacles that paralyze your progress. It's not blaming your circumstances on the economy, your customers, employees, or you're the market you operate in. It's making a decision to set your sights higher. Being HUGE is taking risks, moving forward no matter what, and getting out of your comfort zone. It is positive action. It is more than doing the same things over and over. It's getting excited about the future, looking for opportunities, and making BIG things happen!
1. Focus On Revenue - The secret to business success is to create profitable revenue. Getting money from customers is the only way you can make a profit. Your business will only be successful when you have loyal paying customers - lots of them. An awesome finished project or great service doesn't matter without customers. Focus 33% of your time finding and creating revenue and invest at least $15,000 or 1% to 3% of your annual volume in marketing and sales activities.
2. Help Others - The key to creating lots of loyal customers is to help those who need what you offer and have the money to pay what it's worth. You are not a builder, contractor, architect, supplier, or any other type of business. You are a value-added resource who helps customers solve their problems, make money, or improve their lives. Do you help your customers? Do they know it and pay you big bucks for your valuable help?
3. Learn From Others - When you spend time with successful people, you elevate yourself and seek higher levels of significance. When you observe the best, you get inspired to be the best. I have enjoyed breakfast every Thursday morning for 15 years with a group of HUGE guys from different businesses and backgrounds. We challenge each other to do what's right, make a difference and be better. What are you doing to surround yourself with people who raise your sights and inspire you to do more and be HUGE?
4. Differentiate Or Die Trying - There are lots of different companies who do business lots of different ways. Some offer unbelievably great service while others offer only the minimum. Some do precision quality work while others do what's necessary to get paid. Some charge too much while others don't charge enough. There is no set formula or standard way to become successful in business. However, there are sound principles which make some more successful than others. One important factor to secure profitable work is your ability to set yourself apart from your competition. People pay for different. People remember different. People like different. Most businesses are not very different than there top 5 competitors. What makes you different? Does your customer think you're different? Will they pay more for you than your competition?
5. Get Involved - It is impossible to get where you want to go without continuous improvement. You have to grow 10% to 20% every year just to stay even. Your local industry association is a great place to discover better ways to do business, seek support, learn form others, watch the pro's, get advice, be encouraged, and make friends. Show up, get involved, help out on a committee, be visible, get active, and be HUGE. Be a giver, not a taker. Are you involved (really involved) in your industry or community? Are you making a contribution to your future?
Being HUGE starts with a decision - your decision to make a decision - your decision to make a decision to decide you will make it happen. Your future is a blank slate starting today. Only you are responsible for you. Nothing is in your way except your decision about your attitude and how you spend your time. I am excited everyday that I can think, act and BE HUGE! This attitude and altitude gives me an edge, an advantage, and an outlook enabling me to go where I want to go and do what I want to do. Think small - stay small. Act small - be small. Think HUGE, Act HUGE & BE HUGE!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
George Hedley is the best-selling author of "Get Your Business to Work!" As a professional speaker and business coach, he helps entrepreneurs and business owners build profitable companies. E-mail: email@example.com to request your free copy of "Everything Contractors Know About Making A Profit!" or signup for his e-newsletter. To hire George to speak , attend his 'Profit-Builder Circle' academy or find out how he can help your company grow, call 800-851-8553 or visit www.hardhatpresentations.com
George Hedley HARDHAT Presentations
3300 Irvine Avenue #135
Newport Beach, CA 92660
Phone (949) 852-2005 Fax (949) 852-3002
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org website: www.hardhatpresentations.com
George Hedley owns a $75 million construction and development company and
Hardhat Presentations. He speaks to companies on building profitable businesses,
leadership, and loyal customers. He holds 3-day in-depth "Profit-Builder
Circles" open to construction company owners in an interactive roundtable
format every 3 months. His "Profit-Builder System" includes proven
tools to always make a profit, build equity, create wealth, win profitable
jobs, motivate your people, and enjoy the benefits of owning a profitable company.